Let’s roll this Spring!
This week, to celebrate Spring, we will learn how to create the perfect fresh Spring roll from the salad rolls experts, Kaleidoscope. The magic with rice paper rolls is that you can fill them with whatever ingredients you like! So instead of giving you just one recipe, we will share our top tips for you to create delicious and beautiful rice paper rolls.
Remember, like a Kaleidoscope, combinations are ENDLESS!
1. Understand the rice paper
Rice paper is a fabulous product! It is very thin, meaning it doesn’t take away from the flavours hiding on the inside of the roll. One sheet is only 35 calories, and is 100% gluten-free. But rice paper is a very delicate product that can tear off easily or get dry quickly. To get the best of it, wet it for a couple of seconds only and put it on a wet tea towel; this way, it will keep hydrating itself and remain moist for longer. Watch out though, as your rice paper can stick on some tea towels! If that’s the case, simply use a plate instead.
2. Work with a variety of textures
- Use crunchy ingredients such as carrots, cabbage, cucumber, raw beetroot, apple etc.
- Add some seeds or nuts such as sunflower seeds, pumpkins seeds, cashew nuts, peanuts, sesame seeds
- Don’t forget to add a sauce (in the roll or as a dip); hummus, pesto, tahini, guacamole…
3. Use herbs as an ingredient not just as a seasoning
Herbs bring taste and freshness – to use without moderation! Try using coriander, basil, or parsley for a fresh, leafy feel and light flavour!
4. Think about your colour combination
- Play with your ingredients to create mono-color rolls or rainbow rolls!
- Because rice paper is transparent, think about your roll decoration: use a mint leave, some seeds, chili flakes, mandolined vegetables.
This is how we roll at Kaleidoscope!